In less then 24 hours I will embark on a backpacking journey with a group of 8th grade guys. With my backpack filled with the bare minimum, Cliff Bars stowed neatly away and an excitement that kept me from sleeping last night (or should I say this morning) we are ready to go. Couple things I hope happens and not happen:
- A great time of bonding with these guys. I have been their youth pastor for the last two years, and this will be my way of sending them off. A rite of passage if you will. I might emotional…don’t count on it.
- Losing some weight. Yes, we will be hiking to 10,871 feet! I’m convinced that I will burn off those extra pounds I’ve collected over the last three months.
- Nature. It is always a blessing to dwell in the presence of the Creator’s masterpiece. How could one not marvel at the shear creativity of our God. He is absolutely amazing…and I stand in awe.
Not so amazing things I can do without (hopefully)
- Becoming a bear’s bowel movement. If follow the news lately, in the arena of man vs wild…wild is winning. With sharks snacking on surfers, coyotes rolling into a 7-11 for a slurpee, bear’s attacking old friends. It seems that we lost this season.
- Altitude sickness. I have suffered from this before. Hopefully it won’t be that bad, and mostly that students won’t have a huge issue with this either.
- Coldness. The highest will be 61 degrees. That’s freaking cold!!!