Lovato posted an awesome article that he found basically saying that “are you making leaders or followers.” Props the Del La Vato for his post.
I have been re-examining what it means to be a leader. More so, what are the traits of a good leader. From this, I must confess that just as there are fish in the sea, so to are the perspectives of a what a leader should be. Here are my thoughts on this matter:
A Leader Must…
- Be willing to make hard choices. You know the one’s that don’t please people, but is proper for the vision and purpose.
- Listen. This is a hard one for me.
- Delegate when necessary (really not an issue for me).
- Must do what is right for his ministry, and not what’s going to make others feel comfortable. This might sound harsh, but imagine having way too many leaders who want to help out at an event, but you have have the budget or place for them at that time. How do you pick and choose who goes and who stays? The problem here is that we tend to invite those who we are most comfortable with. That’s not a bad thing, but it really dampens your ministry and support level with your leaders.
- Be willing to do the crappy things.
This is just some of the things that have been going through my head this week.